Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Simon Cowell thinks Kelly Clarkson is more talented than Bob Dylan

I'd be angry if it weren't so absurd it was funny, American Idol Asshat Simon Cowell (ironically, the only judge whose opinion I have hitherto respected) said in an interview with Playboy Magazine that Bob Dylan is dull and less talented than American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson.
"Do I prefer Kelly Clarkson's music to Bob Dylan's? Yes. I've never bought a Dylan record. A singing poet? It just bores me to tears," Cowell tells February's Playboy, [according to the New York Post. The acerbic "American Idol" judge adds: "I've got to tell you, if I had 10 Dylans in the final of 'American Idol,' we would not be getting 30 million viewers a week. I don't believe the Bob Dylans of this world would make 'American Idol' a better show."
Somehow I think the world is more of a better place for Dylan's words and music than it is for American Idol. Still... I wish this quote had been publicized a few months ago, if for no other reason than to see scads of people on the AI auditions covering Dylan just to piss Cowell off. I wouldn't be surprised (and even would like) to see a Dylan themed program as part of American Idol in the future... except that it's more likely than not that Dylan wouldn't participate. But, then, Zimmy did shoot a Victoria's Secret commercial a while back. So anything is clearly possible. I at least expect one or two of the hipper, smarter, more contrarian contestants to select a Dylan cut, especially if they really want to play up a rivalry with Simon to win sympathy from the crowd. But, I suspect the crowd really won't get Dylan either.

The funniest coincidence out of all of this is Dylan's "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" randomly played through my iTunes just as I started reading the story. How sychronistastical.

No comments: